Friday, August 14, 2015

From a strange planet - 8

Road webcam fascination
The silent pictures of Scandinavian traffic-webcams have a strange fascination for me. I'm trying to analyze this effect. My previous analyses of the webcam obsession are here: part 7part 6part 5part 4part 3part 2part 1. I used video, fiction, literary criticism and art to think through this window on far-away worlds.

Street-view camera search
Then I went searching for the cameras on Google Street-view. This could be done in real-life. It would be fun to drive to Norway and to photograph myself in front of these cameras in far-away places. An expedition to pointlessness? Original conceptual art? Will you fund the project?
The existence of the place is confirmed. Seeing one remote place through two different media gives an enhanced sense of presence. Seeing the camera while seeing the picture shown by the camera is strangely empowering.
Same season and the same light. The camera has been mysteriously doubled by Street-view.
The camera can be seen as a shadow in its picture. But I cannot find this on Street-view. Has the bridge been re-built in the meantime?

Sources:
Fv866 Skattorsund
Fv30 Rugeldalen
E10 Gimsobrua

No comments:

Post a Comment